The following is a recap from a session at Search Marketing Expo (SMX) East. Follow the conference and session on Twitter.
- Billion users, billions of searches
- August 2008 – over 7 million search for Britney Spears, over 1,000 misspelling of Britney’s name, top 10 misspellings of those misspellings add up to over 900,000 additional searches
- 55% of queries have more than 3 words
- 70% of queries have no exact keyword match
- 20% of queries in a given day have not been seen in the previous 90 days
What to use?
- Problem: You need features from all products, and need to use them all.
- Keyword Tool has 2 million + users and gets 300 million + ideas a month
- Recently, the tool was updated and relaunched, including using Google.com – specific numbers.
Why’d you get rid of the old tool?
The only infrastructure was going away. The new tool primes Google to be able to add a lot more functionality.
Geotargeting: Will that be available for the new keyword tool?
Getting stats for a city/state level is in the works.
Global monthly/Local monthly
Global: last 12 months and global search volume
Local: only what you have your settings on (e.g. English United States) Local is actually National.
What is the minimum keyword volume a keyword has to have to show up in the keyword tool?
No volume threshold. Pricing threshold. Any query has an opportunity to show up in the keyword tool.
Google has various filters to show only things that are commercial.
How much is filtered out for privacy?
No stats; but from a search advertising perspective, you’re getting a good coverage of all search terms.
Logged in vs. non-logged in
When you’re logged in to KWT, you could get up to 1,000 queries.
When you’re not logged in to KWT, you only get up to 100 queries.
Keyword Tool uses Google Suggest, on top of a lot of other metrics.
Commercially used keywords
The KWT uses commercially used keyword. A trigger is when a keyword is used in an ad.
Search-based keyword tool
Thresholds on search-based keyword tool are very similar.
Search-based keyword tool is being phased out because the technology has been incorporated in KWT.
Who wants a tool that shows all the raw data of Google search terms?
EVERYONE. (Look for something like this in the next year.)
Do you pull in realtime data?
Volume numbers given are for the past 12 months.
Similar words have similar volume numbers.
Volume is rounded.
You can get the estimated traffic for terms inputted, and can filter exact/broad the same way as KWT
Filters on KWT
- Commercial filter
- Privacy filter
Ad impressions vs. search volume
Keywords are shown for AdWords keywords that have been purchased. The search volume is for all searches.
Why am I seeing different numbers when I’m not logged in vs. when I am?
That bug should be fixed – it was because of switching over from the old interface.
How is punctuation treated?
Gather separate results for punctuation vs. non-punctuation
Baris Gultekin, Group Product Manager, Google