Thanks to Barry Schwartz and Keri Morgret from Search Engine Roundtable for taking the time to live blog many of the SMX West sessions! Here are a few of my notes from Tuesday, Day 1…
Technical SEO Issues for Developers
- Disallow certain forms from being crawled (like Contact Us page)
- Use Webmaster Tools
- Need both human and XML sitemaps
- Canonicalization (www vs. non-www issues) fix: stay the same throughout the site; the fix when someone links to the wrong version: redirect it
- Meta/title tags: HAVE them, CHANGE them
- Be simple. Use static HTML, meaningful page titles, clear anchor text, don’t link to spam.
- Brevity is GOOD for URL’s, make them simple, stable, and scream COPY ME!
- Improve crawler discovery by leveraging robots.txt (use only if fully understood, validate with Google), sitemap, and metatags
- Use Yahoo Site Exploreer and Google cache to see what’s indexed
- Use easy-to-crawl and search friendly URLs, keep titles and content close to the top
- iFrames = good for gadgets, bad for homepage
- Eye tracking software results: put your BEST keywords FIRST in the title tag (people read them first, and don’t always read all the way to the right)
- Absolute URLs = BETTER
Up Close with Google Maps & Local
- Google Local data from:
1. Google Local Business Center
2. 3rd party providers
3. General web crawl
- Submit/verify your site at: infoUSA, Localeze, Yahoo, Best of the Web, OpenList, CityVoter, InsiderPages, SuperPages
- Search for “your city and blog” for good blogs in your area
- Factors that influence Local rankings:
1. Proximity to city
2. Reviews, number of reviews, positive reviews
3. Overall SEO health of site
4. Keyword relevancy
- Make sure your address is on your homepage, contact us page, etc.
- If you have multiple locations, submit them ALL to local sites; you still only need ONE website
- No permanent address? Use a PO Box.
- Claim listings with ALL applicable categories
- Add videos!!
- Track calls for free:
- Pretend to start a Google AdWords account
- Go to Audio Campaign page
- Get free phone number
- Track calls!
- Large companies with multiple locations: create landing pages for geographic locations
- One speaker encourages customers to follow up with work done with local reviews with Visa coupon incentives for next services
- Remember – you CAN report Google Maps spam! (They welcome it!)